Deadline April 15th 2023
Thank you for being in touch!
We are pleased to announce that ONBOARDS BIENNALE 2023, entitled “In Touch,” is now accepting applications from artists worldwide. The biennale will be held from June 12th till July 10th, 2023 in Antwerp, Belgium, and will feature 2 X 100 artworks displayed on city’s billboards. During the exhibition, the artworks will be displayed on two locations; On the first location from June 12th till June 26th and on the second location from June 26th till July 10th. The artworks will be printed on AO format, outdoor blueback paper.
- The open call is open to all adult (+18) living artists, nationally and internationally.
- Artworks are to be submitted online only.
- All applications must be submitted by April 15th, 2023.
- There is no application fee.
- Applicant must send the application form with one (1) artwork, in pdf format max 5MB (format 81 x 114 mm- 300dpi – vertical), for a jury selection preview. And a pdf file with short biography. The applications without biography will not be exepted.
- Please note that after the selection, the final image must be sent in a high quality, for printing in A0 format ( 810x 1135 mm -300dpi). If failed to do so, the selected works will be considered ineligible and will not be accepted for the biennale.
- The application form should be completed in English.
- The artwork should be created for the ONBOARDS Biennale 2023 with the theme “In Touch.” More info about the theme here.
- The Selection Board will review all applications and select 50 artists to participate in the biennale. Each selected artist will participate with one artwork.
- The Selection Board will meet in May to finalize the selection of artists. The final selection will be based on the artistic quality and relevance to the theme of the biennale.
- Artists will be informed about the selection outcome in May.
- Selection Board: artist and scholar Dr Ruth Pelzer Montada, art book publisher and curator Bruno Devos and associate director of M HKA and curator Nav Haq.
- Along with the digital file, selected artists will need to provide a PDF file that includes a short biography, a brief description of the submitted artwork (maximum 500 words), and links to their website and social media channels.
- If selected, the artworks must be sent as high quality images, for printing in A0 format (810 x 1135 mm vertical, 300 DPI)
- The final size of the artwork will be 840 x 1189 mm, and the visible part will be 810 x 1135 mm.
- Selected artists must agree with the terms and conditions of the ONBOARDS BIENNALE 2023 when submitting their work. The full terms and conditions can be found here: ONBOARDS BIENNALE Terms and Conditions
- The selected Open Call artists will participate in the biennale with one artwork. The artwork will be displayed from June 12th to June 26th, on one location and from June 26th to July 10th on the other location. Both locations are situated in the city of Antwerp and districts.
- ONBOARDS BIENNALE creates a unique opportunity for visual artists to have their artwork exhibited in the public spaces, announced, and if agreed, sold on the ONBOARDS BIENNALE online platform and social media.
- As part of the exhibition, the ONBOARDS BIENNALE initiates audio tours, indoor exhibitions, and a public and professional art prize.
- A short podcast about the artist and their artwork will be part of the exhibition.
- The artist name and the title of the work will be visibly displayed underneath the art print.
- Each participating artist will be presented on the ONBOARDS BIENNALE website. The presentation includes the name, biography, title and description of the artwork and a link to the artist’s website/social media page.
- The artworks will be visible on the website only after the exhibition.
- Each participating artist, if wishes, can have the opportunity to sell the participating art print in an unlimited (or limited) edition, during and up to one month after the biennale, through the ONBOARDS website.
- The price of the art prints is determined by the artist, with a starting price at a minimum of 100€ per art print.
- The artist will receive 70% of the net profit of the sales.
- Using the displayed QR codes, the audience will be able to order and purchase the art print online.
There will be two awards:
- 3 professional jury prize awards
- 3 public prize awards